Monday, June 27, 2005

Sneffels Highline Trail (My first attempt)

I heard so many great things about this hike, and was very excited about it. It is a +13 mile round trip starting from my house ~8740 feet to 12270 feet at the pass.

On Sunday, I headed out. The first section was very lush, green and peaceful.

However, I was not expecting the amount of snow (still) at the higher elevations. Lots of postholeing along the way. At the top of the pass into Mill Creek Basin, it was filled with snow. With a scary looking storm coming, and no ice axe, and not sure how solid the snow was, I turned around.

This was a good thing. On the way back, I found my cell phone and headlamp sitting in the trail. UGH. So, if I had done the loop, I would not have found them. Some good karma coming back to me.

Enjoy...



ps. I can't wait to revisit this diverse hike.

No comments: