Monday, February 12, 2007

Budapest (with a sidetrip to Munich) (UPDATED)




YES, it has been forever since I blogged. Thanks to all for their patience!

Well, the last day of my trip, my camera left my bag in Denver. :< So, I had NO pictures, besides the ones that Mary Dawn took.

Above, is a fancy little flash that shows a few photos that she took.

All in all, Budapest is a amazing place. The Rough Guide to Budapest lists the following 25 things not to miss:

1: Thermal Baths
I went to two of the baths. Gellert had an magnificent main pool. Szechenyi had 16 different areas. Both felt like a labyrinth tunnels and water. Highly recommended.
2: Coffee Houses
Yes, I went into a few coffee houses. Coffee was good and strong and the pastries where nice.
3: No 2 Tram Ride
This goes along the Danube and is quite the public transportation ride.
4: Food Markets
Did not make it do any.
5: Gresham Palace
Saw it but did not enter
6: House of Terror
Saw it but did not visit
7: Libego Chairlift
Not opened in Winter
8: Margit sziget
I walked the length of this island. In a way it felt like Central Park in New York, because it was a lot of green in between lots of city.
9: Children's Railway
Traveled thru the forest right outside the city of Buda
10: Budapest Zoo
Did not make it here
11: Applied Arts Museum
Did not visit
12: Fishermans Bastion
I had some great photos from here both from day and night. Too bad, I don't have them.
13: Hungarian National Gallery
Hall after hall of Hungarian are from medieval to contemporary paintings.
14: Budapest's Cemeteries
Did not visit
15: Museum of Fine Arts
This is where i saw the Van Gogh exibt. I recommend getting the audio player, that discuss the paintings so you can spend more time looking at the painting instead of reading.
16: Jewish Quarter
I don't remember seeing this
17: Statue Park
Did not visit
18: Rail History Muuseum
Did not visit
19: National Film Theatre
20: Classical Concert
Something if I had another week I would like to go see
21: Castle District
Walked all around this district. Something one does not see in Telluride.
22: Wine
One of the best kept secrets is Hungarian wine. It is superb and cheep.
23: Budapest Spring Festival
It was winter, however, it was un-seasonably warm and felt like spring
24: Siklo Funicular
This was ok, but riding on the Gondola here in Telluride made this a little boring.
25: Folk Music
I bought some CD's when I left Hungary

No comments: