Wednesday, May 09, 2007

50 million is in the Bank!!!!

Words can not express the sense of relief that I have that the needed 50 million dollars is in the bank for keeping the Valley Forever Wild.



I am actually in Denver right now, and I will have to admit, that I was very worried. When my sister called me telling me the good news. WOW....

Yes, Mr. Blue

owner of General Atomics says he will fight it all the way to the Supreme Court, but this was a huge step in keeping the Valley Floor Wild.

Visit Sheep Mountain Alliance article on why $50 Million not enough for War Profiteer


My contributions were a mere drop in the bucket (or wishing well),
Locally, residents pitched in by contributing more than $1 million in loose change and $100 bills to a wishing well. from Rocky Mountain News Article
A HUGE thanks to all the contributors that made this happen.

Some quotes taken from a recent USA article:

Campaign director Hilary White says she is "cautiously optimistic" that last-minute donors will push the fund drive over the top. [which it did!] Contributions have come from more than 1,600 people in 45 states and seven countries. At least 35 benefactors have made six- and seven-figure gifts, one for $5 million.

[Richard] Holbrooke, the former United Nations ambassador and a part-time resident for 18 years, says the scene "takes your breath away. ... I am an absolutist about the valley floor. Stopping the development is a worthy goal."

He [Mr Blue] barred access in 2001 after condemnation started. That year, the National Trust for Historic Preservation, one of the Valley Partners groups, named it one of the "most endangered places" in America.

The valley floor "is the only thing left between it becoming another mall with a mountain and staying the historic landmark that it's supposed to be," says [Daryl] Hannah, who spent summers in Telluride as a girl.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great news! I read this after you left today else I would have said something! I saw news story on 9news too. Awesome!
SC