Saturday, October 27, 2007

Note to the World: BACKUP you computer!!!!

Oct 26:
If there is one piece of advise (however, I am not a lone on this), is to make sure you back up you data on your computer.

So, the next question you ask, "Oh no, did you lose anything?!!!"

Nope, it appears that I did NOT, because I DID backup my hard drive.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you SuperDuper

So here is MY story:

I got the new pre-order of Leopard OSX delivered to my doorstep today!!!!

As any true geek would do, I ripped open the package, and started the install.

After a few moments, I got a Install failure. Hmmm, that is curious. Ok, i will try again. The second time around, my disk was NOT was not recognized.

OH NO!!!!!

So, I "thought" this would be a good time to see if my disaster recovery works.

Yep, I was able to boot into my recovery disk, just like it was my normal disk. WOW. THANK YOU!

So, I then went to repair my disk, NOPE, not repairable. HMMM, .so I guess my only option this is to install my fresh new copy of Leopard on a fresh NEW formated disk. A pain, but at least I am Fresh. :)

So, again, please, please learn from this. Especially now we (the world) have so much personal "digital" data on our machines.

So go out and get software and hardware to do automatic backups, and then test these systems, BEFORE disaster strikes. You will thank me later.

As my good friend would say on http://don-denver.blogspot.com/

Wherever you are today, I hope you are backing up your computer!


ps. at first I blamed Leopard install for my disaster, but I am not so sure now. Anyway, probably I will never know because the crime scene has been erased.

No comments: