Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Mountain Lion, Owl Creek Pass, Silver Jack Res., Black Canyon

Oct 27
Let first state that on this trip I saw my first MOUNTAIN LION in the wild!!!
Too Cool...

So here what I did on my overnight camping trip with the boys. Mary Dawn is/was still over in Europe, so I thought I would give Smokie and Schalappi a change of pace. I have never been over Owl Creek Pass (East of Ridgeway) and was looking forward to see a part of Colorado, that I have never seen before. Heading up toward the pass, I was just checking out the scenery, when a long and lanky mountain lion crossed the road right in front of me. This was a first for me.

It also put a different spin on camping out in the woods too. :)

A fair bit of snow over the pass, so I cross over and back down toward toward the Cimarron River. Very, very scenic in here. I found a nice spot to set up my tent along the river, and collected wood (wet) for the chilly night ahead of me. Being with out Mary Dawn, my choice of dinner was a lot "simpler".

The next morning, Smokie and I checked out the Silver Jack Reservoir. Schalappi, wanted to sleep in.

We then drove north toward Highway 50, and I decided I would make a short jaunt to look at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Always impressed when I go here. The canyon is so narrow and deep.

I can't wait to come back here in the fall. The colors must be amazing here.



[click on the ">" above for the slide show]

No comments: