Friday, January 02, 2009

My 2009 goals

Before I start this list of goals, a few thoughts on setting goals:
1) Write them down, so you are accountable for them. A year from know I can look back and reflect on something, instead of what is my head.
2) Understand the motivation behind them. Do I really want to accomplish this goal? What is the driving factor behind it? If there is no driving force behind it, then I guarantee it will sink to the bottom of every single to-list I create.
3) Publish your goals, (at least the public ones), so when things are a bit slow going, and someone asking you about a goal that you set, this just might un-stick the process.
4) Try to balance out your goals in all aspects of your life.
5) Be specific with a goal. At the end of the year, I want to be able to check off each of my goals, and not wonder if I accomplished it or not.

Michael's Goals for 2009



  • Inspirational/Educational/Cultural

  • Watch all 350+ TED videos
    Learn to play the piano so I can play simple songs from sheet music.
    Read one fictional book in 2009 (yes, this is difficult for me)

  • Financial

  • Given my current employment, make the same income as 2008
    Follow predefined budget for elimination of all debt acquire in 2008
    Reconcile and catagorize (the best I can realistically do) for all accounts in Quicken going back 5+ years.

  • Health

  • Get teeth checked out
    Get knees checked out
    Get all the physicals and test that a 40 year male needs have done.

  • Career

  • Publish 2 iPhone apps to Apple Store
    Establish Consulting Career to provide income and flexibility
    Become a PHP programmer by completing at least one PHP project/contract.

  • Family/Friends

  • Reconnect with at least 2 old friends that I have not spoken to in years
    Visit with family 5+ times in 2009

  • Adventure

  • Ski all Black, Double Black and Expert Runs at Telluride
    Hike one 14'ner that I have not climbed yet.

  • Nature

  • Do a 3 day, 2 night backpack trip once this summer
    Ability to identify by memory the most prevalent local flora and fauna

  • Organization

  • Sort and inventory all my stuff, while recycling items no long needed.
    Streamline "getting things done" procedure so it is second nature.
    To the best of my memory, tag and put descriptions on photos from past trips.

  • Innovation

  • Follow thru on one of my innovations
    Implement all of "many" domain names or release them

  • Logistics

  • Buy vehicle that is 4-wheel drive and gets "good" gas mileage.

  • Publishing

  • Blog on average once a day both personally and professionally
    Create a 2010 Calendar
    Establish virtual gallery for Michael Mowery Media

  • Philanthropy

  • Donate time to local Telluride organization


Love to hear your thoughts.... Click on the comments below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael, you have some very lofty goals! All the best for you and Mary Dawn for 2009! Cathy

Hyperspider said...

Thanks Cathy!

The loftier the goal, the more flexible you become by reaching high.

Look forward to stretching, kind of shrunk down into a hole in 2008.

I have a great support system, just need to fly....

Cheers!
Michael