Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Revelation Bowl

[updated: Photos at bottom of post]
So I (and a hundred of my close friends) where waiting at the top of Gold Hill lift for the Security to drop the rope so we can ski down into the brand new terrain at Telluride Ski Resort called Revelation Bowl.

Skiers and Riders love powder (and today there was lots of un-tracked). They let some of the Very Important People go first. The snow was deep, and was easy to trip you up. A couple of these VIPs (in front of a jealous crowd) took some good tumbles, which made the wait a little easier at the top watching.

So when they dropped the rope, it was NUTS! This huge crowd of good skiers "Whooping it up". I have never been part of a Chinese Downhill (note it was not as bad as the definition on Urban Dictionary:Chinese Downhill) but the quicker you got down, the better in line you to get to more "good stuff". I was fortunate to dodge the fallen unfortunate and stay on my feet to the bottom. It was a BLAST!

At the bottom Dave gave a short thanks to all that made it happen. This process took 20-30 minutes before they loaded the lift.

Now, here is something TelSki HAS to work out the kinks. When getting off the lift, they did not design the exit ramp. You had to push HARD off the chair so it would not hit you in the butt. They had a guy at the top, coaching people to get off the lift. You have to remember, the people who rode the down to the bottom know how to ski and are NOT beginners. The lift guy would count down 3,2,1, go,go,go.... :)

[update: I asked Dave about the above on his blog and here is his reply
Dave's reply: Hi Michael, Thanks for being a part of the day.

Yes, we will fix it tonight by snowcat. The runout area below the unload ramp at the top needs to be cut down a few feet.

Have a great ski season.


ok, good....

]

My second run down, I found some un-tracked snow up above my knees. Any one that skis powder knows you have to go fast to float to the top of the snow. Well, I was going a good clip, when I lean to far forward and I went "over the handle-bars". Except for a face full of fluff, it was all good. :)

Did break threw to the rocks a couple of times where they over blasted, or wind blown, but this is very early in the season. Look forward to the next big powder day.

Anyway, long post for those who don't ski, but it was a GREAT day. They opened up lifts 5,6, and 15 today. Got fresh tracks on most of my runs. My early season legs are spent. I will sleep well tonight.




Map from Telski:

"Think Snow"

No comments: